The best place to start?

I am starting this thread in hopes that it will be filled with everyone’s suggestions on where to start when learning about herbalism. I know reading multiple books, watching different people’s videos and getting information from different groups have seemed to help me.

Hello, Benjamin. Thanks for starting this thread.

Are you drawn to a particular system of herbal medicine? It's very helpful to be grounded in at least one of the larger traditional systems (e.g., Ayurveda, TCM, Unani, Western Herbalism).

You then have a choice to make as to whether to find an educational program to take or go the self-taught route.

You can pick up a lot through books and videos. One necessary component of your herbal education will be the acquisition of knowledge. The energetics of herbal medicine at their core do have simplicity to them so some of the concepts can be picked up relatively quickly. Herbalists are usually trained as generalists, so it does take some time to become acquainted with the myriad of health imbalances that can manifest. And there are far more herbs than there is time to learn about them all. It takes a while to learn about and narrow down the herbs and formulas that will eventually become the ones most useful to your practice. There is no end to this study. Some herbalists I know have time set aside every working day to continue their learning.

There is then also the practice of making, processing, and formulating herbs and herbal formulas. There is practical skill required here, along with some specialized equipment. In order for herbs to work, it's essential to obtain high quality ones. A herbalist ideally should be able to process their own herbs when required.

Then there is a whole other side to herbal medicine that requires direct perceptual relationship with both the herbs and the clients. This perceptual enterprise requires time and attention and repeated exposure. Some call this side intuition. How do you know any of the knowledge that you gained in your education is correct or fitting for the context in which you're applying it? Ultimately, you must always perceive to see if the knowledge you are applying is fitting, accurate, helpful, and working. This part of the herbal practice, seeing that perception is more fundamental than knowledge, and that knowledge is the byproduct of the of the perceptual process, is the one that seems to be the most missed in modern times. It's also important to spend time with the herbs, both in their natural habitat and by growing them yourself. And then using them. Tasting them. Perceiving them.

A herbalist needs a community. A herbalist needs peer consultations. A herbalist in training needs to be supervised. Building this relationship with other herbalist, preferably including ones in your local area, is a necessary component as well. Going the educational program route can help a lot in this area. It's really good and enjoyable to attend conferences if you're able to.

Then there is the business side of being a herbalist. Some people hate this side and wish they didn't have to deal with it at all. Others don't mind it and find the process stimulating. You will need to set up a website. You will need to have consent forms and legal disclaimers. You will have to find suppliers of herbs. You will need to build a questionnaire that helps you obtain the information you require to do an intake and initial appointment. You will need to have a scheduling system and a payment system. You will have to market yourself. It's good too if you produce content that is valuable to the greater herbal community and release it on your website or social media channels.

It can be difficult to get your name out there at first and get your first few clients, like any new field a person is entering into, but if you persist it's usually then a matter of time.

Last edited:
Hello, Benjamin. Thanks for starting this thread.

Are you drawn to a particular system of herbal medicine? It's very helpful to be grounded in at least one of the larger traditional systems (e.g., Ayurveda, TCM, Unani, Western Herbalism).

You then have a choice to make as to whether to find an educational program to take or go the self-taught route.

You can pick up a lot through books and videos. One necessary component of your herbal education will be the acquisition of knowledge. The energetics of herbal medicine at their core do have simplicity to them so some of the concepts can be picked up relatively quickly. Herbalists are usually trained as generalists, so it does take some time to become acquainted with the myriad of health imbalances that can manifest. And there are far more herbs than there is time to learn about them all. It takes a while to learn about and narrow down the herbs and formulas that will eventually become the ones most useful to your practice. There is no end to this study. Some herbalists I know have time set aside every working day to continue their learning.

There is then also the practice of making, processing, and formulating herbs and herbal formulas. There is practical skill required here, along with some specialized equipment. In order for herbs to work, it's essential to obtain high quality ones. A herbalist ideally should be able to process their own herbs when required.

Then there is a whole other side to herbal medicine that requires direct perceptual relationship with both the herbs and the clients. This perceptual enterprise requires time and attention and repeated exposure. Some call this side intuition. How do you know any of the knowledge that you gained in your education is correct or fitting for the context in which you're applying it? Ultimately, you must always perceive to see if the knowledge you are applying is fitting, accurate, helpful, and working. This part of the herbal practice, seeing that perception is more fundamental than knowledge, and that knowledge is the byproduct of the of the perceptual process, is the one that seems to be the most missed in modern times. It's also important to spend time with the herbs, both in their natural habitat and by growing them yourself. And then using them. Tasting them. Perceiving them.

A herbalist needs a community. A herbalist needs peer consultations. A herbalist in training needs to be supervised. Building this relationship with other herbalist, preferably including ones in your local area, is a necessary component as well. Going the educational program route can help a lot in this area. It's really good and enjoyable to attend conferences if you're able to.

Then there is the business side of being a herbalist. Some people hate this side and wish they didn't have to deal with it at all. Others don't mind it and find the process stimulating. You will need to set up a website. You will need to have consent forms and legal disclaimers. You will have to find suppliers of herbs. You will need to build a questionnaire that helps you obtain the information you require to do an intake and initial appointment. You will need to have a scheduling system and a payment system. You will have to market yourself. It's good too if you produce content that is valuable to the greater herbal community and release it on your website or social media channels.

It can be difficult to get your name out there at first and get your first few clients, like any new field a person is entering into, but if you persist it's usually then a matter of time.
I have a lot to learn before I even think about making my services available. I have been foraging on my small farm for herbs and growing some. As far as what area of practice I would be pursuing, I can honestly say I’m not sure. Right at the moment I am learning about plants and what they can do, how to identify them, how to preserve them, and soon I will be self testing. I always make sure to keep extra on hand when trying new ones in case of any type of reaction that may occur and I have to be rushed to the hospital. Let’s hope that never happens. Lol.

I find it helpful to study the plants that I find. The area, what other plants are around it, how the plant is growing, what it smells like before and after bruising or tearing a leaf, what the roots look like and the weather. I found St. John’s Wort two days ago and have been watching it to see what happens from day to day. It looks as though it will bloom soon but I have always heard that it blooms in June.

I have also noticed that skullcap and heal-all have started drying up now. I also want to learn the scientific names for these plants as well. It will take a lot of time but I will get there.

Yes, botany and taxonomy, throw that on the list. But it sounds like you're doing the right things now. You're learning about these plants out a natural curiosity and love for them.

That's fortunate you have a small farm. You can have a whole medicinal garden.

You can always patch test herbs before you try a small amount. I keep doing this even though I've never had a reaction.

how_to_patch_test_herb.jpg

Are you starting to get a sense of the energetics? Of the relationship between taste and effect on the tissues?

Yes, botany and taxonomy, throw that on the list. But it sounds like you're doing the right things now. You're learning about these plants out a natural curiosity and love for them.

That's fortunate you have a small farm. You can have a whole medicinal garden.

You can always patch test herbs before you try a small amount. I keep doing this even though I've never had a reaction.

View attachment 69

Are you starting to get a sense of the energetics? Of the relationship between taste and effect on the tissues?
Not yet. I have mostly gathered “culinary” herbs and a few “wild” ones. I haven’t had time to test any of the “wild” ones out yet. A small taste here or there is about it. I still have much more to learn. That is a good idea on the patch test though. Thank you

it's an older notion but the herbalist has to be held to a higher standard. they represent the practice and must keep its reputation in good standing. you also have to be careful with clients when they're unwilling to follow the recommended diet, lifestyle, and herbs as they may inappropriately blame the practice.

it's an older notion but the herbalist has to be held to a higher standard. they represent the practice and must keep its reputation in good standing. you also have to be careful with clients when they're unwilling to follow the recommended diet, lifestyle, and herbs as they may inappropriately blame the practice.
That’s why I want to know as much as I can and experiment on myself before I even begin thinking about having clients.

Back